Black beans have several health benefits; including:
- Maintaining healthy bones
- Lower blood pressure
- Manage diabetes
- Prevent Heart Disease
- Prevent Cancer
- Healthy Digestion
- Weight Loss
The Harrison County Extension Office shares this fun recipe to incorporate black beans into your meal and feed a crowd!
BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALSA
1 15oz can of black beans
1 11oz can whole kernel corn, no salt added, drained
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, medium, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
¼ cup red onion diced
¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes squeezed)
1 teaspoon salt
1 avocado chopped
- Wash your hands and clean your cooking area.
- Clean the tops of canned food items before opening them.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except avocado
- Cover and chill for at least two hours.
- Add avocado just before serving.
Serves: 20 servings per container (serving size: 1/2 cup (72g)
SOURCE: Expand Food Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP)